Pages

Sunday, 8 January 2017

DAVID BOWIE: AN ETERNAL INSPIRATION

David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust, source: Tumblr
January 10th 2016 – the day the world famous rockstar David Bowie died. His departure is a great loss for the world; he was one of the most famous rockstars from the sixties to the present. He influenced the world of music, art and fashion by his songs and designs and I am convinced his music will last for many more generations. For me, David Bowie was a great source of inspiration; at first through his fashion, but after listening to his music, I couldn’t get enough of his songs! He was amazing, and with this article I honour him.

I first learned about David Bowie in the summer of 2014. I was with my parents in Berlin for a few days, and around the same time there was an exhibition about David Bowie. Of course, we really wanted to visit it, no sooner said than done. I heard about David Bowie before, but until then I never really knew how important he had been.  The exhibition was absolutely beautiful. I don’t really know how to express the feelings I had, it was just really amazing. One of the things I noticed was that this exhibition was so different than the other exhibitions we visited: each room had a different theme which showed the talent and creativity of Bowie. With its music, illumination, authentic fashion clothing, song texts, designs, videos, etc., each room had like this different atmosphere which gave me a weird (but good) feeling in my stomach. Yet again, I really don’t know how to express that feeling… (Eventually we even found out that David Bowie had lived in the same street (Hauptstrasse 155) as where our hotel was, that was really cool!)

After the exhibition I wanted to know even more about him. Of course I had learned a lot of new things about him in the exhibition, but I still wanted to do a little research myself. That’s how I discovered David Bowie was different (yet again, I already knew that because of the exhibition, but still). Not just a little different; from the sixties until now he was innovative. He had always been very creative and was always curious for new influences and impulses. He never stopped experimenting and because of that, he was a huge source of inspiration in the field of music, fashion, art, film, theatre, … That innovation he showed throughout different characters he used in different periods of time. The most famous were Ziggy Stardust and the Thin White Duke. This was very important for the culture, but also for the society. Sometimes he was man nor woman, sexless actually, and he stood up for LGBT. I think by doing that he meant that everyone should be who he or she wants to be without thinking about what the others might say, and I couldn’t agree more with him.

The exhibition I saw in Berlin really touched me, and I wanted to visit it again in the Christmas holidays in 2015., but this time in Groningen (the Netherlands). After London, Toronto, Paris, Berlin, Sao Paolo and Chicago, this was the exhibitions ‘last stop’. Unfortunately, this plan failed because the exhibition had been sold out for over a week. So we went back, again, around a few weeks ago, and finally I got to see it again. All I can say about it is wow. It was absolutely beautiful and I understood more than I did in Berlin. It was amazing, and just like in Berlin, each room was beautiful, it truly gave me goose bumps. Especially the last room was breath taking: his live performances were being shown on huge screens and you could see Bowie’s outfits everywhere. It did make me feel sad though. Hearing his music and seeing all those people standing there, it was pretty emotional. It felt like a last goodbye. It was so beautiful, and I am unbelievably happy I got to see it again.

Bowie was amazing, and with his music he made a huge impact on people’s life. That’s one of the main reasons why in the week of his death there were 19 different albums of David Bowie in the “Most Sold - British Top 100”. It is unbelievable that one person has brought so many changes on so many levels of our society and culture. Wow.


(By the way, this is a really cool site! It shows what David Bowie did on your age! http://supbowie.com/)

2 comments:

  1. Great article, love it. BTW I’ve just written this post on best summer shoes and thought you might like it :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He had such amazing fans!

    God bless,
    XO, Claire
    Http://www.littlemissfashionqueen.com

    ReplyDelete